The story after this Cardinals win and the story after every Cardinals game going forward is the play of Josh Rosen. He was as uninspiring through 3 quarters as he was brilliant in the 4th quarter. The 49ers secondary covers about as well as wet toilet paper but a double digit 4th quarter comeback against any NFL defense is impressive.
Keim has built a lousy roster and each week we are all reminded of that.
1. For some Cardinals fans, the double edged sword of Rosen’s development is that it is almost certainly directly tied to the fate of GM Steve Keim. Keim has built a lousy roster and each week we are all reminded of that. However, if he did in fact land the franchise QB in Josh Rosen and nail the first 3 rounds of the draft for the Cardinals offense - it’s hard to imagine a scenario where he loses his job after pulling that off. When you find the holy grail, you typically don’t get fired.
he has his work cut out for him but should he get this team to 4 or more wins, he’ll likely be back.
2. Steve Wilks avoided Dead Man Walking status by escaping with a win...for now. I’m still concerned this team continues to show many of the same issues in week 8 that they did in week 1 but he’ll at least have a chance to win a few games down the stretch to keep his job. With Oakland the only plausible W on the horizon, he has his work cut out for him but should he get this team to 4 or more wins, he’ll likely be back.
Not many biscuits but not many steaming piles either, so he has that going for him.
3. Byron Leftwich = not a miracle worker but also not Unfrozen Caveman Offensive Coordinator like Mike McCoy was. The Cardinals run designs were noticeably not hopeless and they moved strongly in the right direction of appropriate usage of David Johnson. But Johnson still averaged less than 4 yards per carry and the Cardinals offense was still very much oriented around the short passing game. Not many biscuits but not many steaming piles either, so he has that going for him.
Still a lot of work to be done offensively.
4. It should still be pointed out that once again through 8 weeks of the NFL season the league is one pace for more scoring, more offensive touchdowns and more passing touchdowns than any season in NFL history and yet the Cardinals have failed to score more than 21 offensive points in any single game or throw for more than 2 touchdown passes in any single game. Still a lot of work to be done offensively.
5. Chalk the Larry Fitzgerald spike story up as the weirdest of the season and one of the weirdest in recent memory for the Arizona Cardinals. The breathless reporting of it and the 1000% ON BRAND apology from Fitz make it just bizarre.
Haason Reddick produced his best game of his career.
6. Once again the defense deserves some special attention after their performance.Granted, no one is confusing the CJ Beathard/Matt Breida/Marquise Goodwin led 49ers offense to the Greatest Show on Turf but this Cardinals defense came to play. Chandler Jones has been a man possessed, Budda Baker continues to be one of Steve Keim’s better draft decisions of the last 3 years and overall the Cards D just battled all game. Even Haason Reddick produced his best game of his career. Steve Wilks, solid defensive coordinator.
there’s still no doubt in my mind the Cardinals made the right call to keep Patrick Peterson.
7. One of the rare defensive missteps was Patrick Peterson getting burned underneath fora long Marquise Goodwin TD catch. During the CBS pregame show, Jason LaCanfora reported the Cardinals had received an offer of at least a 1st and a 2nd round pick and had they waited until the trade deadline, very well could have received an offer of multiple 1’s. Yet, there’s still no doubt in my mind the Cardinals made the right call to keep Patrick Peterson.
With home games remaining against the Raiders, Lions and Rams, the optics of the home crowds down the stretch may have to be a contributing factor on whether Michael Bidwill makes further changes.
8. The size and loudness of opposing teams fans has been an on again/off again problem for the Cardinals their entire existence in Arizona. But in consecutive weeks, a Broncos fan base poured into State Farm Stadium despite their team being on a 4 game losing streak and even the 49ers faithful showed up enmasse Sunday to watch what very well could be the worst game of the NFL season. With home games remaining against the Raiders, Lions and Rams, the optics of the home crowds down the stretch may have to be a contributing factor on whether Michael Bidwill makes further changes.
9. Some Cardinals fans bemoaned the win as a lost opportunity to stay in line to land the#1 overall pick. With Oregon QB Justin Herbert reportedly wanting to return to Oregon next year, the top of the draft may not be the best spot for the Cardinals after all. A draft class loaded in DL and thin at OT/CB, the Cardinals drafting 4th or so may put them in a better spot to land the top ranked tackle or DB on their board while still finding plenty of DL value in the 2nd round.
10. Whats next: Bye week. Thankfully for everyone involved.